Editor’s be aware: This Vehicle Seat Examine was prepared in December 2021 about the 2021 Volvo XC40 Recharge minimal of material has adjusted with this year’s design. See what’s new for 2022 or check out a side-by-side comparison of the two design decades.
The verdict: Volvo’s initial all-electric powered car or truck is rapidly and economical, but the XC40 Recharge’s backseat doesn’t impress. Difficulties with the compact SUV’s reduce Latch anchors and mounted head restraints complicated car or truck seat set up in our Vehicle Seat Check.
Does it match 3 car or truck seats? No.
Acquire a seem at how the Latch program and each motor vehicle seat scored below in our Vehicle Seat Check of the 2022 Volvo XC40 Recharge.
Related: Lookup Car or truck Seat Checks
- Latch: The two sets of reduce anchors sit under plastic flaps. They must be quick to use, but every single anchor sits deep in the hole uncovered by the flap. The anchors are also pressed up from the upholstery, complicating access — in particular with our toddler seat’s chunky connectors. Connecting to the anchors is a wrestle, and you actually need to shove the connector deep and tricky to connect. 3 top rated tether anchors sit on the seatback. The outboard kinds are midway down and obviously marked, but the middle anchor sits at the foundation of the seatback and isn’t evidently marked.
- Infant seat: Connecting to the lessen anchors needed a little bit of muscle simply because Volvo leaves negligible area to maneuver our car seat’s chunky connectors in the deep Latch holes, and the anchors by themselves are mashed against the seating upholstery. Entrance-passenger legroom was just Okay for our 5-foot 6-inch front passenger. With the seat set up driving, there was only a small amount of room concerning her knees and the glove box.
- Rear-experiencing convertible: This automobile seat works by using skinny, hooklike connectors, so it was a bit a lot easier to obtain the lessen anchors, while it still demanded some muscle mass. We had the similar front-passenger legroom problems as with the infant seat.
- Ahead-going through convertible: Again, the XC40’s reduced-anchor setup hampered installation. The SUV’s fixed head restraint did not interfere with our forward-dealing with convertible seat with its adjustable backrest established to the cheapest peak, but it will very likely interfere if the again needs to be raised to accommodate a taller youngster. The fixed head restraint did complicate the major-tether link, having said that. The car or truck owner’s manual says to defer to the automobile seat handbook for how to route the strap for the major tether anchor. Our Graco owner’s guide exhibits it must go over the head restraint then join to the anchor. This is problematic, as the XC40 Recharge owner’s handbook also suggests to “Never route a top rated tether strap about the major of the head restraint. The strap should be routed beneath the head restraint.” Due to the fact the convertible strap’s tightening system is also chunky to fit less than the head restraint, we adopted the automobile seat owner’s handbook and routed it above the head restraint. The inconsistency amid the manuals is irritating.
- Booster: The outboard head restraints aren’t detachable (the middle one particular is). They fold down but or else aren’t adjustable, and they press the back of the booster off the seatback. It should be flush. There is a sizable hole in between the booster’s back again and the seatback, so we downgraded this class two grades. The booster really should be set up in the center seat if attainable, as that head restraint can be quickly taken off. The buckles are on shorter but steady stalks. They adhere up just sufficient so young children ought to be ready to use them independently.
A: Loads of home for the car or truck seat and the youngster doesn’t effect driver or front-passenger legroom. Uncomplicated to locate and hook up to Latch and tether anchors. No in shape issues involving head restraint or seat contouring. Quick access to the 3rd row.
B: 1 area, healthy or connection problem. Some difficulties accessing the third row when obtainable.
C: Marginal area plus one healthy or relationship challenge. Tough to accessibility the third row when offered.
D: Inadequate room, plus a number of match or connection concerns.
F: Does not in good shape or is unsafe.
About Automobiles.com’s Automobile Seat Checks
Editors Jennifer Geiger and Jennifer Newman are qualified kid protection seat installation experts.
For the Motor vehicle Seat Check out, we use a Chicco KeyFit 30 toddler-security seat, a Graco Contender 65 convertible seat and Graco TurboBooster seat. The front seats are adjusted for a 6-foot driver and a shorter passenger. The a few kid seats are put in in the 2nd row. The booster seat sits guiding the driver’s seat, and the infant and convertible seats are put in guiding the entrance passenger seat.
We also put in the forward-going through convertible in the 2nd row’s center seat with the booster and infant seat in the outboard seats to see if a few automobile seats will fit a baby sitting in the booster seat must be capable to achieve the seat belt buckle. If there is a 3rd row, we install the booster seat and a forward-dealing with convertible. Master far more about how we perform our Auto Seat Checks.
Mother and father should really also recall that they can use the Latch method or a seat belt to put in a vehicle seat, and that Latch anchors have a pounds restrict of 65 lbs ., such as the pounds of the little one and the fat of the seat by itself.
Vehicles.com’s Editorial division is your resource for automotive information and assessments. In line with Automobiles.com’s very long-standing ethics policy, editors and reviewers never settle for presents or absolutely free journeys from automakers. The Editorial section is unbiased of Automobiles.com’s marketing, income and sponsored written content departments.
Supply website link