From 2007 to around 2014, the BMW N47 was an inline 4-cylinder diesel motor that was used in the BMW 1, 2, 3, and 5 series, as nicely as the X1 and X3 diesel versions.
The N47 motor sequence is inclined to early timing chain failure because of to critical timing chain put on. The scenario is indicated by a rattling noise coming from the engine’s rear. Failure of the timing chain may possibly necessitate motor alternative or a highly-priced repair service. The issue affects all apps and electricity variants of the motor manufactured involving March 1, 2007 and March 1, 2011. The most seriously harmed models, which demand the most sizeable repairs, had been manufactured among the dates of 01.03.2007 and 05.01.2009. UPDATE – It appears that a compact range of engines produced after the recall are possessing problems.
The timing chain on this engine is sandwiched involving the motor and the transmission at the back of the motor. Its replacement is primarily hard because it is found in this sort of an inaccessible place. In most cases, areas mounted in these kinds of inaccessible spots are intended to endure the everyday living of the engine, but not in this problem. The timing chain in the N47 can are unsuccessful anywhere from 40 to 100k miles, resulting in catastrophic engine destruction as its factors lose synchronization.
Prognosis – Signs or symptoms of a Failing Timing Chain
The indicators of a unsuccessful timing chain ordinarily appear progressively as the chain gets to be for a longer period and additional worn. As a outcome, you’re not likely to detect a sudden dramatic symptom until the chain is near to break fully. As a substitute, feel about how your motor vehicle is executing now and how it executed a lot of months back. Small troubles could recommend that the chain is about to fail totally.
Here are some of the indicators that your timing chain is failing:
- Rough idling: Start your car and wander away. It is achievable that the timing chain is sporting out if it shakes or vibrates a lot more than typical. Of system, there are other problems that could consequence in harsh idling, but the concern is often really worth investigating since it tends to worsen in excess of time.
- Weird noises: You could possibly listen to your N47 motor rattle, primarily when it’s idling, but not only when it is idling. The situation could be that the timing chain is loose and rattling in opposition to everything else if the sound is persistent and rough.
- Metal shavings in the oil: Around time, the timing chain will dress in down. When it reaches the close of its helpful everyday living, it might emit metallic shavings. If it does, it will end up in your motor oil, most likely creating additional issues. On the other hand, any worn-out portion of your automobile can develop metallic shavings, so it’s worthy of wanting into right before merely replacing the chain.
- Motor failures: If your BMW would not start out, the chai may perhaps be damaged and not supplying sufficient strain to start the engine. If the chain breaks even though you are driving, it is achievable that the timing chain has damaged as nicely. If this happens, the pistons may perhaps be broken, and the belt issue might bring about much more hurt to your motor vehicle.
- Motor misfires: Your N47 motor may possibly misfire ahead of the chain has entirely snapped. The cam and the crankshaft are linked by a chain. The chain may lead to the automobile to skip a equipment on either the crankshaft or the camshaft if it is extremely stretched out. It will grow to be additional pressured as a end result of this, and it will sooner or later split.
- Check engine mild is on: Of training course, the examine motor gentle could sign a huge range of matters have long gone incorrect with your BMW. On the other hand, it is achievable that the timing chain has failed or is before long to fall short.
Replacement and Repairs
Due to the fact the timing chain is in this sort of an inaccessible location, the mechanic need to thoroughly remove the motor from its bay to get access to it. Having the motor out is a massive and complicated undertaking in and of by itself. Pursuing that, yet another lengthy disassembly is demanded to obtain entry to the chains by themselves.
A few timing chains are provided in the timing chain replacement kit: a person for the oil pump, 1 for the camshaft, and just one for the substantial-stress gas pump. You will also will need the searching tool kit to maintain the crankshaft and camshaft synchronized though you’re functioning on them. These are the key duties that have to be completed after eliminating the motor from the bay in purchase to swap the timing chains.
To commence, make guaranteed that cylinders 1 and 4 are at top rated dead middle in order to keep the point for synchronizing the details.
With the applications you have, lock your crank shafts at this locale.
Remove the camshaft chain tensioner to loosen the chain a minor, and loosen the three bolts on the camshaft sprocket.
It will be easier to take away the gas pump sprocket if the superior-force fuel pump is turned off.
Get rid of the flywheel from the crankshaft by removing the bolts that hold it in location.
Eliminate the starter motor’s bolts to get accessibility to the oil sump.
By undoing the required bolts, you can get rid of the oil sump.
Take out the timing cover by loosening the nuts that maintain it in spot. It will acquire some prying and a couple mild faucets with the hammer. You can now obtain all of the chains and sprockets.
By loosening the bolts, you may now clear away the oil pump sprocket and the oil pump guides. Get rid of the oil pump’s chain as perfectly.
Similarly, remove the camshaft sprocket’s guides and tensioner, as well as the sprocket and belt.
After TDC, twist the crankshaft 45 levels and get rid of the superior-tension fuel pump tensioner, guides, and sprockets. Just take off the belt and the sprockets as perfectly.
The final product is your oil sprayer, which you could remove for substitution if needed.
Then, in reverse order, set up the alternative belts, guaranteeing that all factors are in sync until the conclusion.
This timing chain problem is a design and style flaw in the motor, and the only technique to remedy it is to avoid cars and trucks with this N47 motor or, if feasible, get rid of it in working get. Mainly because of the emission control products place in it, these as the EGR and DPF, this motor also has a large amount of challenges.